PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Usenet Server (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=112450)

Bob Williams May 11th 10 07:50 AM

Usenet Server

My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
I live in Southern California USA.
Bob Williams

Peter[_7_] May 11th 10 11:46 AM

Usenet Server

"Bob Williams" wrote in message
My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
I live in Southern California USA.
Bob Williams

I have been using shared-secrets for years with few issues.

--
Peter

Dave Cohen May 11th 10 02:27 PM

Usenet Server

On 5/11/2010 2:50 AM, Bob Williams wrote:
My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
I live in Southern California USA.
Bob Williams

I use motzarella, there may be a trivial sign up fee. I believe it
covers a fair number of groups but I only monitor a small number.

John McWilliams May 11th 10 05:36 PM

Usenet Server

Dave Cohen wrote:
On 5/11/2010 2:50 AM, Bob Williams wrote:
My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
I live in Southern California USA.
Bob Williams

I use motzarella, there may be a trivial sign up fee. I believe it
covers a fair number of groups but I only monitor a small number.

Motz. is now eternal-september.org - fabulous, but text only. Cost is 0.

--
john mcwilliams

Jacquie May 12th 10 01:52 PM

Usenet Server

And they duplicate your posts by the looks of things. LOL

Jacquie.

On 12/05/2010 12:39, wrote:
I've been using News Demon with no problems. Binaries are included.

Paul Furman May 12th 10 04:21 PM

Usenet Server

John McWilliams wrote:
Dave Cohen wrote:
On 5/11/2010 2:50 AM, Bob Williams wrote:
My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
I live in Southern California USA.
Bob Williams

I use motzarella, there may be a trivial sign up fee. I believe it
covers a fair number of groups but I only monitor a small number.

Motz. is now eternal-september.org - fabulous, but text only. Cost is 0.

It barfs on me usually a couple times a week, I can't log in for hours
at a time & it wipes out my saved password & login :-(

No binaries either which is fine with me. I wouldn't pay for binaries,
never use them but I guess I'd pay for more consistent text service.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

[email protected] May 12th 10 10:17 PM

Usenet Server

wrote:

My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
I live in Southern California USA.
Bob Williams

You get what you pay for. Free Usenet servers can be useful but
they don't compare to a paid service. Giganews can't be beat if
you don't mind the monthly bill.

Bob Williams May 13th 10 12:49 AM

Usenet Server

wrote:

My ISP (COX.net) has notified me that on June 30, 2010, they will
discontinue usenet service.........Bummer!
What newsgroup service do you guys suggest I subscribe to?
I want to obtain not only regular newsgroups such as this one but also
BINARY newsgroups (groups that transmit text AND images?)
I live in Southern California USA.
Bob Williams

You get what you pay for. Free Usenet servers can be useful but
they don't compare to a paid service. Giganews can't be beat if
you don't mind the monthly bill.

COX.net, my ISP suggested Giganews but they are the most expensive
usenet server on the planet (29.99 / Mo. for their premium plan.)!!!
They do have some less expensive plans for more casual users like me
Anybody here use (or know about) Giganews' PEARL or JADE Plans?
Bob