PhotoBanter.com

-   Medium Format Photography Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Question : Hasselblad 500CM or 501CM (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=3489)

BigSand May 31st 04 10:00 PM

Question : Hasselblad 500CM or 501CM

Hello,

I am planning to purchase this camera. Do you know if this camera has a
built-in light meter like most of 35mm ?

Thank you.

jjs May 31st 04 10:17 PM

In article , "BigSand" wrote:

Hello,

I am planning to purchase this camera. Do you know if this camera has a
built-in light meter like most of 35mm ?

No it does not.

http://www.google.com
Type in "hasselblad 501cm specs"

Stacey May 31st 04 11:22 PM

BigSand wrote:

Hello,

I am planning to purchase this camera. Do you know if this camera has a
built-in light meter like most of 35mm ?

No. The meter is in the prism (if you buy a metering prism $$$) and isn't
coupled to the camera. IMHO you're better off with a hand held meter and
use the waist level finder unless you're planning on doing a bunch of macro
work with ext tubes etc where TTL metering is a bonus. It's MUCH ligher and
brighter using these this way. Now the 200 series does have metering built
in but that's a different beast.
--

Stacey

Daniel ROCHA May 31st 04 11:48 PM

BigSand, à écrit :
I am planning to purchase this camera. Do you know if this camera has
a built-in light meter like most of 35mm ?

You must use an handheld lightmeter.

--
Daniel Rocha - Photographie
http://www.monochromatique.com

Mxsmanic June 1st 04 01:12 AM

BigSand writes:

I am planning to purchase this camera. Do you know if this camera has a
built-in light meter like most of 35mm ?

No meter, no autofocus, no auto exposure, no flash, no motor drive. You
must do everything by hand. Superlative lenses and results, though.

steven June 6th 04 07:41 PM

"BigSand" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I am planning to purchase this camera. Do you know if this camera has a
built-in light meter like most of 35mm ?

Go for the 501. It's sliding mirror design is an improvement over the 500's:
brighter and no vignetting (granted, that's only on the acute matte, and not
on the film).

Thank you.

You're welcome.

Q.G. de Bakker June 7th 04 12:57 AM

steven wrote:

Go for the 501. It's sliding mirror design is an improvement over the

500's:
brighter and no vignetting (granted, that's only on the acute matte, and

not
on the film).

Bigsand,

Just a note: there are two 501s. The 501 which indeed has the feature
described is the "501 CM", not the "501 C", which does not.
Always be careful when just a Hasselblad type number is given without the
(always more important) letters.

BigSand June 8th 04 02:29 PM

Question : Hasselblad 500CM or 501CM

A big thank to all of you.
Have a nice day!

"Q.G. de Bakker" wrote in message
i.nl...

berko milleit June 9th 04 09:22 AM

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Q.G. de Bakker wrote:

steven wrote:

Go for the 501. It's sliding mirror design is an improvement over the

500's:
brighter and no vignetting (granted, that's only on the acute matte, and

not
on the film).

for totally confusing you i suggest to buy the 500 C/M: compared to the
501 it has the very useful indicator if the body (and the lens) is cocked.
you can use the acute mate focussing screens (so far the 501 C/M is no
advantage). if you use a 150mm portrait lens the light darkening (if there
is any) in the upper area of the viewfinder-picture is not noticable while
taking pictures (at least i didn't notice it during sessions).

and: the 500 C/M is much cheaper and does it's duty.

beside that it is more beatiful in my opinion. the film backs don't have
that ugly slide-holder that looks a third party product glued to the back.

but: although it is great to work with a blad - the results (500 C/M,
planar 80 T* and sonnar 150 T*) weren't noticable better than pictures
taken with my psix* and my set of east-zeiss lenses (self enlarging) .
so i sold the blad and got me a second K6 body for less than the money i
got for a blad film back ;)

berko

*kiev60 has much better focussing screen but you have to be lucky and
since my psix works...