PhotoBanter.com

-   -   PORTRAITS LOVE THE 20D ! (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=79155)

Annika1980 April 1st 07 11:21 PM

PORTRAITS LOVE THE 20D !

Got to test out my new portrait lens (the 85mm f/1.8) today with one
of my most willing subjects.

Charles Schuler April 1st 07 11:25 PM

PORTRAITS LOVE THE 20D !

Nice!

Hoover[_2_] April 1st 07 11:51 PM

PORTRAITS LOVE THE 20D !

what exactly is a portrait lens - great photos!!

oups.com...

[email protected] April 2nd 07 12:19 AM

PORTRAITS LOVE THE 20D !

On Apr 1, 6:21 pm, "Annika1980" wrote:
Got to test out my new portrait lens (the 85mm f/1.8) today with one
of my most willing subjects.

You bought yourself a super lens, Bret! Beautiful portrait of Mr.
Divs. Lens delineation, saturation and contrast is superb. I insist
you use this lens a lot!
Helen

Annika1980 April 2nd 07 01:08 AM

PORTRAITS LOVE THE 20D !

On Apr 1, 6:51 pm, "Hoover" wrote:
what exactly is a portrait lens - great photos!!

It is a lens that will be used primarily for portraits due to it's
shallow DOF and wonderful bokeh. Of course, the Canon 85 f/1.8 is so
sharp that I plan to use it for stitched panoramas as well.

Annika1980 April 2nd 07 01:09 AM

PORTRAITS LOVE THE 20D !

On Apr 1, 7:19 pm, wrote:

You bought yourself a super lens, Bret! Beautiful portrait of Mr.
Divs. Lens delineation, saturation and contrast is superb. I insist
you use this lens a lot!

Well, if you insist .....

Alan Browne April 2nd 07 01:57 AM

PORTRAITS LOVE THE 20D !

Hoover wrote:
what exactly is a portrait lens

Assuming that was a question, a portrait lens is one favoured for
portraits. For 35mm it would be about 85 to about 135mm, but even a 200
or 300 can do decent portraits. The 85mm (often a f/1.4) is considered
a classic portrait lens as it gives a sense of volume without
exagerating features and a shallow enough DOF to isolate features in
depth (eg: eyes).

Longer lenses are often used in location fashion shooting to both
flatten out features and to throw backgrounds out-of-focus.

For digital (cropped sensors) 50mm - 100mm is a good range.

Cheers,
Alan
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

joe mama April 2nd 07 03:23 AM

PORTRAITS LOVE THE 20D !

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
Got to test out my new portrait lens (the 85mm f/1.8) today with one
of my most willing subjects.

classic example of a bad portrait (are snapshots of animals considered
portraits?) trying to be passed off as a bokeh shot. always..ALWAYS have
both eyes in sharp focus. that is just sloppy work, and indicative of many
of your shots in that forum. we are so lucky to have you posting all these
examples of your shoddy work here, even though anyone interested could just
check your open page whenever they wanted.

it's a good thing you didn't plunk down the extra coin for the 1.2 lens. as
it is, you were wasting a good three hundred anyway.

keep up the great work, salieri! someday you may be able to publish a kitty
calendar....

joe mama April 2nd 07 04:25 AM

PORTRAITS LOVE THE 20D !

"M-M" wrote in message
"joe mama" wrote:

always..ALWAYS have
both eyes in sharp focus

But did you see the detail in the ear?

--
m-m

it's an unfortunate reality of relying on auto focusing to deliver a sharp
image. especially in an aps-c sized format. it takes too much enlargement to
make it viewable, and it can rarely be trusted, expecially in those dark
canon viewfinders.

funny how you don't run into those problems nearly as much in a true 35mm
format, through a bright viewfinder. my canon eos 3 never has that problem
with that lens. or my pentax gear, or my nikon gear, or any 35mm gear for
that matter.

Tuli April 2nd 07 05:27 AM

PORTRAITS LOVE THE 20D !

Annika1980 wrote:
Got to test out my new portrait lens (the 85mm f/1.8) today with one
of my most willing subjects.

Very nice!

Tuli