PhotoBanter.com

-   -   20D as movie camera? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=46013)

Skip M April 25th 05 02:45 AM

20D as movie camera?

A friend sent me this link the other day, I think the concept is cool...

http://patrykrebisz.com/stills/FINAL_movie.html

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Annika1980 April 25th 05 03:20 AM

A friend sent me this link the other day, I think the concept is
cool...

http://patrykrebisz.com/stills=AD/FINAL_movie.html

I wonder how the guy got around the buffer limitations?
It must've been a bitch to shoot, but it turned out very cool.
The lighting is very well done as well.

I've been thinking of doing something similar, like shooting time
sequences of clouds moving. Then I'll edit it to 24 or 30 fps and have
twice the resolution of HDTV.
But I'm gonna need a big friggin monitor!

Skip M April 25th 05 03:36 AM

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
A friend sent me this link the other day, I think the concept is

cool...

http://patrykrebisz.com/stills/FINAL_movie.html

I wonder how the guy got around the buffer limitations?
It must've been a bitch to shoot, but it turned out very cool.
The lighting is very well done as well.

I've been thinking of doing something similar, like shooting time
sequences of clouds moving. Then I'll edit it to 24 or 30 fps and have
twice the resolution of HDTV.
But I'm gonna need a big friggin monitor!

It was pretty cool, and it looks like he shot the 20 or so frames until the
buffer was full, then started over. Maybe he had the actors freeze until
the buffer was clear?

PTRAVEL April 25th 05 04:23 AM

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
A friend sent me this link the other day, I think the concept is

cool...

http://patrykrebisz.com/stills/FINAL_movie.html

I wonder how the guy got around the buffer limitations?
It must've been a bitch to shoot, but it turned out very cool.
The lighting is very well done as well.
Very nice film. I think I know the trick -- just use the Canon remote
software to record to a computer. Carry around a laptop connected via the
USB port and it should work. I'll have to try that with my 10D.

MarkČ April 25th 05 04:34 AM

"PTRAVEL" wrote in message
.. .

"Annika1980" wrote in message
oups.com...
A friend sent me this link the other day, I think the concept is

cool...

http://patrykrebisz.com/stills/FINAL_movie.html

I wonder how the guy got around the buffer limitations?
It must've been a bitch to shoot, but it turned out very cool.
The lighting is very well done as well.
Very nice film. I think I know the trick -- just use the Canon remote
software to record to a computer. Carry around a laptop connected via the
USB port and it should work. I'll have to try that with my 10D.

I've been thinking of doing something similar, like shooting time
sequences of clouds moving. Then I'll edit it to 24 or 30 fps and have
twice the resolution of HDTV.
But I'm gonna need a big friggin monitor!

That's quite easy to do, and it works like a charm (haven't tried the "HDTV"
part).
I've made a number of stop-motion sequences using my 10D just for fun.
All you need is a tripod, manual exposure, and a way to play-back and/or
record the playback sequence.
-Mark

paul April 25th 05 06:18 AM

MarkČ wrote:
"PTRAVEL" wrote in message
.. .

"Annika1980" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

Here's a cloud sequence I did on a D70:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/our-garden/more/2005-02-18-cloud-time-lapse
It's crazy how few pixels you can fit into a video format!

MarkČ April 25th 05 06:51 AM

"paul" wrote in message

MarkČ wrote:
"PTRAVEL" wrote in message
.. .

"Annika1980" wrote in message
egroups.com...

[...]

I remember you posting this once before.
A very nice sequence.

Fred McKenzie April 25th 05 07:45 PM

In article .com,
"Annika1980" wrote:

I wonder how the guy got around the buffer limitations?

One way would be to set the resolution to the smallest possible value.
That seems to be the way the point-and-shoot cameras do it.

Fred

paul April 25th 05 09:29 PM

Fred McKenzie wrote:

In article .com,
"Annika1980" wrote:

I wonder how the guy got around the buffer limitations?

One way would be to set the resolution to the smallest possible value.
That seems to be the way the point-and-shoot cameras do it.

With the smallest most compressed jpeg my D70 estimates 7,500 pictures
will fit on a 2GB card at 1504x1000 (way too big foar any video
format?). I just tested & it shot 60 of those before the buffer filled
at 3 frames per second. That's 4 minutes at 30fps replay but I think
they replay that movie at 3fps.

It made the same sound as the soundtrack of that movie(snap snap snap
snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap snap... you just have to stop &
let the buffer unload every 20 seconds.

Gizmo April 25th 05 10:57 PM

"paul" wrote in message

Here's a cloud sequence I did on a D70:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/our-garden/more/2005-02-18-cloud-time-lapse
It's crazy how few pixels you can fit into a video format!

That's a great sequence Paul ... many thanks for sharing !