PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital SLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Nikon's retro DSLR launches and it looks good (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=126600)

David Taylor November 5th 13 08:49 AM

Nikon's retro DSLR launches and it looks good

On 05/11/2013 04:47, RichA wrote:
I'd sooner pay $3000 for this than $1800 for a lame D610 body.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/11...itle_0_2#specs

Strange, really. I suppose it will appeal to some folk, but what a
price! Too many dials!

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-n...3dkits_bundles

--
Cheers,
David

Me November 5th 13 10:03 AM

On 5/11/2013 9:49 p.m., David Taylor wrote:
On 05/11/2013 04:47, RichA wrote:
I'd sooner pay $3000 for this than $1800 for a lame D610 body.

Strange, really. I suppose it will appeal to some folk, but what a
price! Too many dials!

It's large, pointless, and overpriced.
D610 is a much better camera, or for the same retail price as the DF, a
D800 kills it in every way.

Michael[_6_] November 6th 13 04:39 AM

On 2013-11-05 10:03:12 +0000, Me said:

On 5/11/2013 9:49 p.m., David Taylor wrote:
On 05/11/2013 04:47, RichA wrote:
I'd sooner pay $3000 for this than $1800 for a lame D610 body.

Strange, really. I suppose it will appeal to some folk, but what a
price! Too many dials!

It's large, pointless, and overpriced.
D610 is a much better camera, or for the same retail price as the DF, a
D800 kills it in every way.

Unlike many Nikon D's, this one specifically works with all the old (I
mean OLD) lenses- the pre-AI manual lenses with the coupling forks. One
reason I bought my (DX format) D5000 was that it could do that also,
but when I found it too tedious to use those lenses fully manually, and
I wasn't taking 35mm film anymore (I still take 120), I sold my entire
Nikon F system to KEH when they came up to my city on one of their
traveling buying trips. I got decent money for it. But now those lenses
would be useful on the DF, if I could figure out a good reason to drop
nearly $3000 on yet another camera. All that said, for those of us who
grew up loving the Nikon F, this camera looks like a camera again.
--
Michael

Usenet Account November 12th 13 08:04 PM

Nikon's retro DSLR launches and it looks good

On 12/11/2013 2:17 PM, John A. wrote:
On Tue, 5 Nov 2013 23:39:41 -0500, Michael

On 2013-11-05 10:03:12 +0000, Me said:

[...]

If only this were real... http://re35.net/

Back before I bought my first DSLR I did in fact look around to see if
something like that was available.

Maybe this will come to fruition some day...
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/17/ni...-cameras.aspx/

JA

I recall a company back in 1997 Imagek later renamed SiliconFilm that
was pushing that concept. But seemed more like investment baiting scam.

Never fielded a working model for anyone to examine.

--
Men make their own history, but they do not make it as they please; they
do not make it under self-selected circumstances, but under

nospam November 12th 13 08:27 PM

Nikon's retro DSLR launches and it looks good

In article , Usenet Account
wrote:

Maybe this will come to fruition some day...

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/17/ni...for-35mm-film-
slr-cameras.aspx/

I recall a company back in 1997 Imagek later renamed SiliconFilm that
was pushing that concept. But seemed more like investment baiting scam.

a scam is exactly what it was.

Never fielded a working model for anyone to examine.

of course there wasn't a working model. such a device is not possible.

Savageduck[_3_] November 12th 13 08:43 PM

On 2013-11-05 10:03:12 +0000, Me said:

[...]

Yup! That was an April fool's day prank from a year or two back.

There was a siilar idea which flew for a few months and the proved to
not be viable.

Back before I bought my first DSLR I did in fact look around to see if
something like that was available.

Maybe this will come to fruition some day...
http://nikonrumors.com/2012/12/17/ni...-cameras.aspx/

seriously doubt that that is much more than wishful thinking.

Savageduck

Savageduck[_3_] November 12th 13 08:55 PM

On 2013-11-05 10:03:12 +0000, Me said:

[...]

I believe that either Hoodman or Delkin had a short lived concept at
about the same time. Ultimately it wouldn't even be able to keep pace
with the least of the P&S of the day. I seem to remember they were
talking about 1.7MB.

Savageduck

J. Clarke[_2_] November 12th 13 09:16 PM

Nikon's retro DSLR launches and it looks good

In article ,
lid says...

On 2013-11-05 10:03:12 +0000, Me said:

[...]

It's a nice idea but until someone figures out a way to make a sensor
thin enough to fit into the film-plane of a 35mm SLR and durable enough
to survive handling, I think it's pie in the sky.

I suspect that eventually it will be done, as a laboratory exercise if
nothing else, but I also suspect that by the time it happens film will
have been out of use so long that nobody pays much attention.

J. Clarke[_2_] November 12th 13 09:18 PM

Nikon's retro DSLR launches and it looks good

says...

On 2013-11-05 10:03:12 +0000, Me said:

[...]

I suspect it will be invalidated on the basis of prior art--Leica
actually sold such a product, the "Digital Modul R" for the R9.

nospam November 12th 13 11:28 PM

Nikon's retro DSLR launches and it looks good

In article , J. Clarke
wrote:

I recall a company back in 1997 Imagek later renamed SiliconFilm that
was pushing that concept. But seemed more like investment baiting scam.

Never fielded a working model for anyone to examine.

It's a nice idea but until someone figures out a way to make a sensor
thin enough to fit into the film-plane of a 35mm SLR and durable enough
to survive handling, I think it's pie in the sky.

that's minor. the pressure plate has some flex to it.

there are many other issues that are far bigger obstacles.