PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital Photo Equipment For Sale (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   SUSPECTED FRAUD WARNING! (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=36973)

Frank Malloway July 3rd 03 04:35 PM

SUSPECTED FRAUD WARNING!

This scam actually took place over at fredmiranda's site but this
crook may strike here as well so I wanted to post this heads up.
His name is Tony Bacon email address:
"Makin Bacon" is his handle.
He lives/works out of Illinois.
According to one poster, he also has an ebay account.
Basically this guy is very slick.
He doesn't offer the obvious "too good to be true" deals on new
equipment, but fair prices on used equipment. He discussed the
condition, gave info on where and how much he paid, said he had to
have a little more because of the expensive B + W slim polarizer he
was throwing in. He negotiated price a little like any of us would.
Sent me a paypal invoice immediately after we made agreed on a price.
He always answered emails quickly and politely up until he said it had
been shipped late, via FedEx, by his wife. He was called away on
semi-urgent personal business. He promised to email me the tracking
number when he returned. That was the last email I ever received.
I am not alone. There have been at least 2 other victims so we all
need to be a little more careful.
Here is a link to the discussion over at Fred's site if you are
interested in the details:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/37885
Frank in Atlanta

J. A. Mc. July 3rd 03 05:12 PM

BWaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!

Read Paypal's termsagain ... if he's not a "certified seller" .... !

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 15:44:40 GMT, "Kenwood" found
these unused words floating about:

If you paid via PayPal, file a claim and you'll get your money back.

. com...

markie July 3rd 03 10:06 PM

"Kenwood" wrote in message
t...
If you paid via PayPal, file a claim and you'll get your money back.

WRONG - Paypal will investigate and then confirm you have a valid claim,
then so sorry the seller isn't certified - whatever that means. My seller
was an actual business that claimed they shipped it (and maybe they did) but
I never received it.

Frank Malloway July 3rd 03 10:41 PM

I did file a complaint with paypal.
They give the seller 10 days to respond.
I figure he'll have his check from them and be long gone before then.
Unfortunatley, I had enough money in my paypal account so I couldn't
use a credit card.
That means I am S.O.L.
What we can all gain from this is never let your guard down. Even
when it's not a new "too good to be true" deal, it can still be a
scam.
I know, personally, after many many online transactions, I thought I
knew what to look for.
I never even saw this one comming seeing that it was not new
equipment.
Frank in Atlanta

ArtKramr July 4th 03 03:17 PM

Subject: SUSPECTED FRAUD WARNING!
From: (Frank Malloway)
Date: 7/3/03 8:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time
[...]

What did his feedbacks look like?

Arthur
Arthur Kramer
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

cc0157935 July 4th 03 09:17 PM

In article , fgm2001
@hotmail.com says...
[...]

That is nothing.
There is a guy named Albert Stewart who has been scaming people for
years and is still out there. He even tries to sell you how not to be
scammed at a site called Luckydude.net
www.luckydude.net

He has over a million dollars in collections against him
Read about it he

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=al...n&lr=&ie=UTF-8
&oe=utf-8&selm=MPG.17cb8188429f25159896d1%40netnews.attbi. com&rnum=1

or search the newsgroups for Albert stewart.

He is even gone so far as to say he take credit cards, and when you give
him your name credit card and 3 digit number on the back, allong wiht
your address, guess what...

He will then become you.

The next thing you know, your credit is ruined and if you take him to
court, you will win the judgement, but wait in line cause the public
records show about a million dollars owed to others.

Beware of Albert Stewart in Saint Paul MN, and luckydude.net

I hear his latest scam is to collect rent from large real estate
complexes. He takes a small fee and manages your properties and
collects rent from the rentors. From this he will most likely assume
the identity of every rentor in that complex.