PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Where can I get a black Fujifilm FinePix F100fd? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=100856)

Bob Donahue August 31st 08 07:18 PM

Where can I get a black Fujifilm FinePix F100fd?

The Fuji web site claims the F100fd is available in both black and silver,
but does not give separate model numbers. The online stores only show the
camera in silver. Does anyone know where I can order this camera in black?
(For some reason, cameras just look more professional with a black finish.
Remember the Nikon F in black?)

--
Bob D.

Alan Browne August 31st 08 07:20 PM

Bob Donahue wrote:
The Fuji web site claims the F100fd is available in both black and silver,
but does not give separate model numbers. The online stores only show the
camera in silver. Does anyone know where I can order this camera in black?
(For some reason, cameras just look more professional with a black finish.
Remember the Nikon F in black?)

I suggest you get a silver and black version. When shooting closeups of
white cars, wear a white jumpsuit and headgear and don't use the black
camera...

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

ASAAR August 31st 08 09:19 PM

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:18:53 -0400, Bob Donahue wrote:

The Fuji web site claims the F100fd is available in both black and silver,
but does not give separate model numbers. The online stores only show the
camera in silver. Does anyone know where I can order this camera in black?

Japan? Singapore? Call Fuji and ask about it. Their
downloadable PDF catalog shows both versions but doesn't show any
model number suffixes. My guess is that both versions aren't
universally available, and which color(s) you can get depend on
which region of the world you shop in.

Alan Browne September 2nd 08 01:15 AM

Quinton wrote:
On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 14:18:53 -0400, "Bob Donahue" wrote:

The Fuji web site claims the F100fd is available in both black and silver,
but does not give separate model numbers. The online stores only show the
camera in silver. Does anyone know where I can order this camera in black?
(For some reason, cameras just look more professional with a black finish.
Remember the Nikon F in black?)

It only looks more professional with black because today's pros are idiots that
don't realize that black absorbs more thermal radiation faster and drives it
deeper into the camera faster than silver or white. Then taking it longer for
the CCD/CMOS chip to cool down for lower noise levels in their images. Black
camera bodies are the enemy to better digital imaging. Film not being as subject
to image degradation due to higher temperatures, for this reason the color of
the camera was a non-issue when "pro-black" first became popularized. Black only
became a "pro" color because they were trying to disguise the size of their SLR
cameras so as not to alert everyone within 3 kilometers that they were taking
photos. Subduing reflections being only a secondary reason, since most real
"pros" know how to avoid reflections in the first place, no matter the color of
the camera. It is only idiots that don't know how to avoid reflections in things
and instead want to depend on their camera color for that--you know, all those
"pros" that want their cameras in the color of "pro-idiot black".

Of course the real reason pro equipment is black, and that pros tend to
wear black is so they don't appear in reflections in product shots or
other shots with shiny surfaces. Despite what you say, this cannot
always be avoided, but can at least be reduced so the ad agency folks
can easily airbrush it out.

White lenses don't count, as they are typically for longer shots where
the above would not matter, but where sunlight will indeed heat up the
lens body and potentially cause distortion in the lens and thence the
image. And of course, even if there were reflections, the white paint
on a lens is on the barrel, not the front element, so not much at all to
worry about.

The temperature rise due to the body warming up from insolation (sun
heating) in most situations is not significant in image noise terms.

And finally, geez, if somebody wants a black camera, why the frig do you
care?

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

ASAAR September 2nd 08 03:19 AM

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 20:15:08 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

And finally, geez, if somebody wants a black camera, why the frig do you
care?

Does the CHDK/Anti-DSLR sock puppet need a reason to care? At
least this time it's attacking itself, so to speak.

Robert Coe September 6th 08 03:52 PM

:
[...]

The black camera fad predates the widespread popularity of SLRs. IIRC, the
first factory-supplied black 35mm pro camera was an extra-cost version of the
Leica M-3, but some pros had been painting their cameras black at least a year
or two earlier. (Black cameras for amateurs were already common.) You're right
that it was to avoid attracting attention, but I doubt that it achieved that
objective very effectively, except possibly in wildlife photography.

Bob

Robert Coe September 6th 08 04:01 PM

wrote:
: Of course the real reason pro equipment is black, and that pros tend to
: wear black is so they don't appear in reflections in product shots or
: other shots with shiny surfaces.

That sounds like a perfectly plausible reason for using a black camera, but
it's not the one the pros who originated the fad gave at the time. They said
it was to keep sunlight reflecting off the camera from distracting the
subject.

Bob