PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Nat Geo contest winner - with horrid Photoshopping (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=103082)

Cynicor[_6_] December 17th 08 03:56 AM

Nat Geo contest winner - with horrid Photoshopping

Technically, this is not digital because he took it with 35mm film, but
I can't believe that none of the judges at National Geographic caught
this disaster.

http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.c...our-prize.html

Paul Furman December 17th 08 05:57 AM

Cynicor wrote:
Technically, this is not digital because he took it with 35mm film, but
I can't believe that none of the judges at National Geographic caught
this disaster.

http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.c...our-prize.html

It was in the *viewer's choice* category.

Cynicor[_6_] December 17th 08 12:19 PM

Paul Furman wrote:
Cynicor wrote:
Technically, this is not digital because he took it with 35mm film,
but I can't believe that none of the judges at National Geographic
caught this disaster.

http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.c...our-prize.html

It was in the *viewer's choice* category.

Fair enough. It shouldn't have been accepted into the contest in the
first place, in my opinion.

The photo itself is on the shooter's page:
http://www.usefilm.com/image/1443590.html

For some reason, every time someone makes obviously fake photo-art and
calls it a photograph, or uses eight-sided snowflakes, or a number of
other things that seem to bug only me, you get the predictable comments
like this one from his page: "i dont know why people talking abt rule.is
there any rule for art? if there have some rules than i will say
photography is not a art." It's part of the "stop pointing out this
sucks, you hater" rule.

Roy G[_2_] December 18th 08 01:08 AM

"Cynicor" wrote in message
Paul Furman wrote:
Cynicor wrote:
[...]

It is a really crap piece of photoshopping and should be a pretty poorly
placed entry in any photographic competition.

It could be described as a manipulated photograph, but whatever descriptor
is applied in front, it is still a photograph.

Roy G

Cynicor[_6_] December 18th 08 02:13 AM

Roy G wrote:
"Cynicor" wrote in message
Paul Furman wrote:
Cynicor wrote:
[...]

Depends on the competition. I believe the rules in this one said "no
manipulation," which I usually think of as meaning "light
sharpening/contrast/saturation OK" but not "take the photo and then
paste in the sky and then paste it in again as a wrong-facing
reflection." On the other hand, he did leave the crooked horizon....

Paul Furman December 18th 08 03:12 AM

Roy G wrote:
Cynicor wrote:

http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.c...our-prize.html

it is still a photograph.

It's two photographs faked together to look like *a* photograph.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Robert Coe December 19th 08 12:07 AM

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:56:00 -0500, Cynicor wrote:
: Technically, this is not digital because he took it with 35mm film, but
: I can't believe that none of the judges at National Geographic caught
: this disaster.
:
: http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.c...our-prize.html

Well, it would certainly appear that the "photographer" has no conceptual
understanding of the geometry of reflections. I suppose we may conclude that
the judges don't either. :^|

Bob

Stephen Henning December 19th 08 09:06 PM

Nat Geo contest winner - with horrid Photoshopping

In article ,
Robert Coe wrote:

http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.c...ic-heres-your-
prize.html

It was a viewers choice award, not a National Geographic judges award.
When National Geographic asked the photographer to send the original, he
withdrew his photo. Case closed.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA -

RichA[_3_] December 19th 08 09:54 PM

"Stephen Henning" wrote in message
Robert Coe wrote:

http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.c...ic-heres-your-
prize.html

It was a viewers choice award, not a National Geographic judges award.
When National Geographic asked the photographer to send the original, he
withdrew his photo. Case closed.

Reminds me of when "now next to dead" Time magazine gave all these awards to
absolute crap done with cellphones. There is no artistry or technical
quality involved with people just happening to be at the right place and
right time. So why an award? It's like calling people who were in a
bombing "heroes" when all they did was be there, unknowingly.

savvo December 20th 08 01:31 AM

On 2008-12-19, Stephen Henning wrote:
In article ,
Robert Coe wrote:

http://photoshopdisasters.blogspot.c...al-geographic-
heres-your-prize.html

It was a viewers choice award, not a National Geographic judges award.
When National Geographic asked the photographer to send the original, he
withdrew his photo. Case closed.

I think NG withdrew the photo pending receipt of his negs. But the
effect is the same.

If only the liars around here were so easy to get rid of.

--
savvo orig. invib. man