PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Please Nikon; lets not go wallpapering Walmart with s--- cameras again this time (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=130116)

Sandman March 14th 17 06:51 AM

Please Nikon; lets not go wallpapering Walmart with s--- cameras again this time

In article , RichA
wrote:

"Release multiple mirrorless offerings?" Why not concentrate on one
good camera first, given limited resources?

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/niko...s-get-serious-

mirrorless/

I, for one, would prefer a Nikon mirrorless *with* F-mount.

--
Sandman

Noons March 15th 17 11:41 AM

Please Nikon; lets not go wallpapering Walmart with s--- camerasagain this time

On 14/03/2017 5:51 @wiz, Sandman wrote:
In article , RichA
wrote:

"Release multiple mirrorless offerings?" Why not concentrate on one
good camera first, given limited resources?

Exactly. Make 2: APS-C and FF. No more.

I, for one, would prefer a Nikon mirrorless *with* F-mount.

For me, no way! It needs to be its own mount and an inbuilt adapter
for AI,G and E series lenses.
Anything less and they won't sell a single camera to existing Nikon users!

Sandman March 15th 17 01:49 PM

Please Nikon; lets not go wallpapering Walmart with s--- cameras again this time

In article , Noons wrote:

Sandman:
In article
, RichA

RichA:
"Release multiple mirrorless offerings?" Why not concentrate on
one good camera first, given limited resources?

Exactly. Make 2: APS-C and FF. No more.

Sandman:
I, for one, would prefer a Nikon mirrorless *with* F-mount.

For me, no way! It needs to be its own mount and an inbuilt adapter
for AI,G and E series lenses. Anything less and they won't sell a
single camera to existing Nikon users!

What do you mean? A new mount with a "built in" f-mount? How is it built in?

The only reason to ditch the f-mount is to get a short flange distance for a
smaller camera. And that's an ok reason, if it comes with a fully functional
adapter for f-mount I suppose.

--
Sandman

android March 15th 17 02:16 PM

Please Nikon; lets not go wallpapering Walmart with s--- cameras again this time

wrote:

"Release multiple mirrorless offerings?" Why not concentrate on one
good camera first, given limited resources?

Exactly. Make 2: APS-C and FF. No more.

Youpp! They have a "number one" with a very tiny sensor so then the
APS-C would be "number two", and the Nikonians might need booth but I'm
not sure that I think that they should make a "number three". :-ppp

I, for one, would prefer a Nikon mirrorless *with* F-mount.

For me, no way! It needs to be its own mount and an inbuilt adapter
for AI,G and E series lenses.
Anything less and they won't sell a single camera to existing Nikon users!

Canon have built in TCs so why not? :-))
--
teleportation kills

Savageduck[_3_] March 15th 17 02:53 PM

On 2017-03-15 13:49:28 +0000, Sandman said:

In article , Noons wrote:

Sandman:
In article
, RichA

RichA:
"Release multiple mirrorless offerings?" Why not concentrate on
one good camera first, given limited resources?

Exactly. Make 2: APS-C and FF. No more.

Sandman:
I, for one, would prefer a Nikon mirrorless *with* F-mount.

For me, no way! It needs to be its own mount and an inbuilt adapter
for AI,G and E series lenses. Anything less and they won't sell a
single camera to existing Nikon users!

What do you mean? A new mount with a "built in" f-mount? How is it built in?

The only reason to ditch the f-mount is to get a short flange distance for a
smaller camera. And that's an ok reason, if it comes with a fully functional
adapter for f-mount I suppose.

I agree. If Nikon is going to develop a true mirrorless system it
should be built from the ground up with a new mount and lens
development road map. Then add Nikon proprietary adaptors for current
and legacy Nikkor glass.

Just from a personal perspective, initially a mirrorless APS-C makes
more sense than a FF, because the vacuum caused by the faltering
compact camera market is there to be filled rather than the DSLR FF
market. Ideally it should be a mirrorless rendition of a D7200 or D500
with a launch offering of three to four irrisist9ible lenses. Perhaps
two primes (16mm, 23mm, 35mm, or 55mm) and two zooms, a standard zoom
18-(70-80)mm and one moderate tele 50-200mm, with lenses in development
declared on a lens development road map.

Savageduck

Sandman March 15th 17 04:52 PM

Please Nikon; lets not go wallpapering Walmart with s--- cameras again this time

In article 2017031507531873650-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
wrote:

Noons:
For me, no way! It needs to be its own mount and an inbuilt
adapter for AI,G and E series lenses. Anything less and they
won't sell a single camera to existing Nikon users!

Sandman:
What do you mean? A new mount with a "built in" f-mount? How is it
built in?

The only reason to ditch the f-mount is to get a short flange
distance for a smaller camera. And that's an ok reason, if it
comes with a fully functional adapter for f-mount I suppose.

I agree. If Nikon is going to develop a true mirrorless system it
should be built from the ground up with a new mount and lens
development road map. Then add Nikon proprietary adaptors for
current and legacy Nikkor glass.

Just from a personal perspective, initially a mirrorless APS-C makes
more sense than a FF

Sure, as long as the new mount can accommodate full format lenses and
sensors. I have nothing against crop format per se, just as long as I can use
my gear looking forward.

And when the Nikon mirrorless FF is released with the same new mount and I
can use the same adapter for my FF lenses, then perhaps the Sony A7 series
isn't looking so hot...

Just don't make the flange distance crazy short, so that wide angle lenses
will suffer from it. Sony's FE-mount of 18mm is a bit too small for full
format, while Nikons 46mm flange is too big for a small camera. Leica M of
28mm is just the sweet spot. Or make it slightly smaller for adapting Leica
lenses as well. Then you'd have a ~20mm adapter for F-mount.

--
Sandman

android March 15th 17 05:06 PM

Please Nikon; lets not go wallpapering Walmart with s--- cameras again this time

In article ,
Sandman wrote:

Or make it slightly smaller for adapting Leica
lenses as well.

That must be that that Nikon want: More adapters facilitating lenses
with other mounts! I bet that Canon regrets deeply that it wanted to
avoid make adapters for FD lenses to fit the EOS system... If they had
chosen a flange 3mm longer then all the non optical adaptors for M42,
Nikkors and more would not have come into being!
--
teleportation kills

nospam March 15th 17 05:10 PM

Please Nikon; lets not go wallpapering Walmart with s--- cameras again this time

In article , android
wrote:

I bet that Canon regrets deeply that it wanted to
avoid make adapters for FD lenses to fit the EOS system...

they don't.

If they had
chosen a flange 3mm longer then all the non optical adaptors for M42,
Nikkors and more would not have come into being!

their intention was so that those with nikon lenses could use an
adapter with an eos body.

Alfred Molon[_4_] March 15th 17 06:40 PM

Please Nikon; lets not go wallpapering Walmart with s--- cameras again this time

In article 2017031507531873650-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...
I agree. If Nikon is going to develop a true mirrorless system it
should be built from the ground up with a new mount and lens
development road map. Then add Nikon proprietary adaptors for current
and legacy Nikkor glass.

I guess they are hesitating because a good mirrorless system would
compete with and cannibalise their DSLR offering. Canon have the same
problem.
--
Alfred Molon

nospam March 15th 17 06:55 PM

Please Nikon; lets not go wallpapering Walmart with s--- cameras again this time

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

I agree. If Nikon is going to develop a true mirrorless system it
should be built from the ground up with a new mount and lens
development road map. Then add Nikon proprietary adaptors for current
and legacy Nikkor glass.

I guess they are hesitating because a good mirrorless system would
compete with and cannibalise their DSLR offering. Canon have the same
problem.

there isn't any problem. better to cannibalize one's own products than
end up with a competitor doing it.