PhotoBanter.com

-   35mm Photo Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Oil on blades...a question (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=14060)

Ken Rosenbaum September 25th 04 01:06 PM

Oil on blades...a question

I just received a cosmetically and optically mint AF Nikkor 50mm 1.4 lens.
On close inspection, there appear to be some marks on the diaphragm blades
when looking through the front of the lens. I see none through the back.
The marks don't appear oily or damp. Are they possibly oil? Or could they
just be what they appear....marks? They are on all the blades, and kind of
look like what friction might have caused. They seem to function perfectly.
Can anyone tell me just where oil would appear? Or point me to a site that
shows it?
Thanks.
Ken

Ken Rosenbaum September 25th 04 02:07 PM

The marks don't appear oily or damp. Are they possibly oil? Or could they
just be what they appear....marks? They are on all the blades, and kind of
look like what friction might have caused. They seem to function

perfectly.

To clarify a bit, under the closest inspection I can manage, they appear
more like bright marks would look on a camera body. I see no actual liquid.
Ken

Jim Phelps September 25th 04 02:54 PM

"Ken Rosenbaum" wrote in message

The marks don't appear oily or damp. Are they possibly oil? Or could they
just be what they appear....marks? They are on all the blades, and kind
of
look like what friction might have caused. They seem to function

perfectly.

To clarify a bit, under the closest inspection I can manage, they appear
more like bright marks would look on a camera body. I see no actual
liquid.
Ken

More than likely wear marks. The black coating of the iris has worn from
being cycled so many times. Oil, on the other hand would look like a liquid
on the blades. The black would be deeper black, just as if you oiled or
Armor-All'ed the outside of the lens.

I've had two lens develop an 'oil leak' and had them professionally cleaned.
Not cheap...