PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Should I learn C before Java ? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=28151)

DP February 12th 05 05:13 PM

Should I learn C before Java ?

Why not both at the same time?

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi. Should I jump right into Java, or is it better to learn C first?
I'm not a total beginner; I know Javascript, but I obviously would like
to learn a more powerful language.

Thanks,

TP

Tjerk Wolterink February 12th 05 06:21 PM

Tony Polson wrote:

Hi. Should I jump right into Java, or is it better to learn C first?
I'm not a total beginner; I know Javascript, but I obviously would like
to learn a more powerful language.

Thanks,

TP

it depends with what you want to do with it.

c is more difficlt (i think) to learn,
java is more powerfull

Jonathan Tremlett CIT2004 February 12th 05 07:19 PM

Yes,

I agree too that you should go straight to Java as although the syntax is
essentially the same C is a bit of a pain and I noticed that from just
scrathing the surface of it

Cheers

Johnny

Dejan Lazic February 12th 05 07:54 PM

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi. Should I jump right into Java, or is it better to learn C first?

C will only slow down your learning curve of OOP because it's quite
procedural language. Java has the C-like syntax, but the syntax is the least
problem. Believe me, I hardly got used on OOP after few years in Visual
Basic programming.

Start Java with "Beginning Java 2" (Horton), "Thinking in Java" (Eckel) and
"The Java Tutorial" (Sun's website).

Malte February 12th 05 08:55 PM

Tony Polson wrote:
Hi. Should I jump right into Java, or is it better to learn C first?
I'm not a total beginner; I know Javascript, but I obviously would like
to learn a more powerful language.

Thanks,

TP

I'd go with Java first. Java was not out when I got into this business,
so I did C, C++, Smalltalk, REXX and the like. C++ and Smalltalk helped
me understand Objects. If you begin with C you are going to get a wakeup
call once you start with Java, because you would be unfamiliar with
object technology. OO is about half of mastering Java, IMHO.