PhotoBanter.com

-   35mm Photo Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Canon tripod mount adapter? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=1957)

Scott June 15th 04 02:28 AM

Canon tripod mount adapter?

Hi,

I was browsing the L lenses, for fun, and noticed this 'accessory' listed
for the 70-200 f/4 L. I can understand on the big honking lenses the need
for a mid-point on which to attach the tripod, for balance, but this lens is
a tiny thing. Is this a necessary item when using a tripod with this lens?

Thanks,
Scott

Bill Hilton June 15th 04 04:27 AM

Canon tripod mount adapter?

From: "Scott"

I was browsing the L lenses, for fun, and noticed this 'accessory' listed
for the 70-200 f/4 L. I can understand on the big honking lenses the need
for a mid-point on which to attach the tripod, for balance, but this lens is
a tiny thing. Is this a necessary item when using a tripod with this lens?

It's about the same weight as the 75-300 IS (couple of ounces heavier) ... you
don't *need* the tripod collar for it but sometimes it's convenient. My wife
has this lens and we also have two other lenses that use the same tripod collar
(400 f/5.6 L and 300 f/4 L), so we have access to a collar that fits. If she's
putting a t/c on it or if she's using a gimbal head like the Sidekick she
usually puts the collar on, if she's using other lenses without collars so the
camera body has a tripod mount she usually doesn't bother.

I wouldn't pay the extra $150 or so for it, that's for sure.

Bill

Tony Spadaro June 15th 04 05:25 AM

Canon tripod mount adapter?

I wish there was a tripod collar available for the 75-300. Any time you can
center the weight on the tripod it is an improvement over when you cannot.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

billypat June 15th 04 02:04 PM

Canon tripod mount adapter?

I own the 70-200 f/4 L and found that the tripod mounting ring for the
200mm f/2.8L II is identical to the one made specifically for my
70-200. The only difference is that it's black and not white. In my
mind, that is a no-brainer, especially when the black one costs $35
less at B&H ($78.95 vs $113.95).