PhotoBanter.com

-   35mm Photo Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   R.I.P. Kodachrome (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=106922)

Max Perl June 22nd 09 07:52 PM

R.I.P. Kodachrome

"Annika1980" skrev i en meddelelse
Now it's official.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...55L3CZ20090622

There were very few places where the film could be developed......not many
places in Europe where I live. So I have never considered using the film.
And for me the Kodachrome has been discontinued the last 10-20 year or
more.......as the only Kodachrome was the 25.
For fine grained film we got the Ektar 100 instead? .....even in 120
.....I think this is a nice supplement to the Fuji E6's.
We also got a new TMAX 400?
I still use film from time to time......like I still use my Thorens
turnable....... :-)

What about you? ......did you ever try out the Ektar 100? ....or was
the shutter in the EOS-1V rusted?
Think it is good to excercise the old film cameras from time to time.......

Max Perl June 22nd 09 08:30 PM

R.I.P. Kodachrome

On Jun 22, 2:52 pm, "Max Perl" wrote:

What about you? ......did you ever try out the Ektar 100? ....or was
the shutter in the EOS-1V rusted?

I have a roll in there right now. Ektar 100 is a very fine-grained,
highly saturated film.
Perhaps a bit cartoonishly saturated for my taste, but given the
correct subject matter it should produce excellent results.

It certainly isn't a portrait film, but I took this one of my friend,
Bill.
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/113381473
I find it hard to get the color just right when scanning.

I have also tried it and also seen a lot of images on the web. The film has
"its own" colors. It is quite easy to recognize the images shot with this
film.
It has a "old stylish" look to my eye........or "Kodak look" .....a slight
"brown tone"?

Robert Coe June 23rd 09 04:56 AM

R.I.P. Kodachrome

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 20:52:26 +0200, "Max Perl"
wrote:
:
: "Annika1980" skrev i en meddelelse
: ...
: Now it's official.
:
: http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...55L3CZ20090622
:
: There were very few places where the film could be developed......not many
: places in Europe where I live. So I have never considered using the film.
: And for me the Kodachrome has been discontinued the last 10-20 year or
: more.......as the only Kodachrome was the 25.
: For fine grained film we got the Ektar 100 instead? .....even in 120
: ....I think this is a nice supplement to the Fuji E6's.
: We also got a new TMAX 400?
: I still use film from time to time......like I still use my Thorens
: turnable....... :-)
:
: What about you? ......did you ever try out the Ektar 100? ....or was
: the shutter in the EOS-1V rusted?
: Think it is good to excercise the old film cameras from time to time.......

I'm not sure I could still get batteries for my Nikon F-2. :^|

Bob

Geoffrey S. Mendelson June 23rd 09 07:39 AM

R.I.P. Kodachrome

Robert Coe wrote:
I'm not sure I could still get batteries for my Nikon F-2. :^|

I think the F2 uses A-76 (alkaline) batteries. After much playing around I
found that my Nikormat Ftn underexposed slightly with them. For example,
I needed to set it to ASA 320 for ISO 400 film.

Then I found that you can buy zinc oxide hearing aid batteries that are the
same size and 1.4 volts. My local HMO pharmacy had them 6 for $15. They dry out
and stop working, so they last about a month in the Summer and 4-6 months
in the Winter here.

Geoff.