PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital SLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Oh dear, Stacey....have those good vibrations stopped? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=53252)

lens crack December 12th 05 02:39 AM

Oh dear, Stacey....have those good vibrations stopped?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16212349

RK December 12th 05 03:30 AM

Oh dear, Stacey....have those good vibrations stopped?

Much ado about nuthin'.

lens crack December 12th 05 03:39 AM

Oh dear, Stacey....have those good vibrations stopped?

"RK" wrote in message
ups.com...
Much ado about nuthin'.

I didn't know that it had been already been covered in the 'interesting Oly'
thread - but since Stacey, in her desperate search for *something* positive
to say about Olympus, made a point of mentioning the dust-shaker, I thought
it was a bit ironic.

Of course it's no big deal - at least, not to owners of other cameras.
Olympus owners seem a bit timid about the whole thing though.`

She should have mentioned pixel-mapping, instead - now *that's* the feature
that Olympus should be promoting.

Stacey December 12th 05 05:42 AM

lens crack wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16212349

Some guy buys a store demo and is shocked the camera is full of dust? How
many months/years has it been on the shelf?
--

Stacey

G.T. December 12th 05 05:52 AM

Stacey wrote:
lens crack wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16212349

Some guy buys a store demo and is shocked the camera is full of dust? How
many months/years has it been on the shelf?

Didn't it have a freakin' body cap or lens on it? Why would it gather
more dust sitting on a shelf than being used out in the field? You
cannot seriously believe that shaky thing can shake the sticky dust off
of a filter, do you?

Greg

--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late
The battles we fought were long and hard

Stacey December 12th 05 06:22 AM

G.T. wrote:

Stacey wrote:
lens crack wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16212349

Some guy buys a store demo and is shocked the camera is full of dust? How
many months/years has it been on the shelf?

Didn't it have a freakin' body cap or lens on it?

Who knows? You really believe a salesperson at a store would worry about it?
We have no idea how this camera was handled do we? It could easily be a 2
year old sample that has sat months at a time with no cap or lens..

This thread on the OM forum is the first I've seen in the year I've been
reading there about a camera with problem sensor dust and he even says it
has dust all in the viewfinder. Does that sound like it had a body cap or a
lens on it?

"The focusing screen is also kind of dirty."

this was an interesting coment or did you miss that one as well?

"I called the local Olympus distributor and they told me they don't have
experience cleaning CCDs."

If this thing didn't work, don't you think they might have had to clean a
sensor or two?

Also here is a coment in that thread from someone who uses a Canon FF camera
and a E1:

"The SSWF really works extraordinarily well. If you use a DSLR with
interchangeable lenses, then you risk dust contamination. That is fact. The
Olympus SSWF is the best system to reduce that risk. In over 18 months,
I've had to (that is had to) clean my Olympus sensor just once , plus I did
it because I could. Bear in mind that I change lenses in all weather and in
climatically hostile environments without any extra care.

My Canons have had scores of sensor cleans, sometimes daily, during the
same period (that's lot's of Eclipse and quite a few cotton buds).

The Olympus system works. It's really apparent if you happen to also use an
alternative camera system. "

Why would it gather
more dust sitting on a shelf than being used out in the field?

See above.

You
cannot seriously believe that shaky thing can shake the sticky dust off
of a filter, do you?

Ask most people who use these, most say they have never had to manually
clean their sensors or worse case every year or two.. It works whether you
believe it or not.

--

Stacey

MarkČ December 12th 05 08:36 AM

Stacey wrote:
G.T. wrote:

Stacey wrote:
lens crack wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16212349

Some guy buys a store demo and is shocked the camera is full of
dust? How many months/years has it been on the shelf?

Didn't it have a freakin' body cap or lens on it?

Who knows? You really believe a salesperson at a store would worry
about it? We have no idea how this camera was handled do we? It could
easily be a 2 year old sample that has sat months at a time with no
cap or lens..

There is no reason to believe a SENSOR will be highly prone to dust from
sitting on a camera store's shelf display.

Pete D December 12th 05 01:04 PM

"MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even number wrote in message
Stacey wrote:
G.T. wrote:

Stacey wrote:
lens crack wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16212349

Some guy buys a store demo and is shocked the camera is full of
dust? How many months/years has it been on the shelf?

Didn't it have a freakin' body cap or lens on it?

Who knows? You really believe a salesperson at a store would worry
about it? We have no idea how this camera was handled do we? It could
easily be a 2 year old sample that has sat months at a time with no
cap or lens..

There is no reason to believe a SENSOR will be highly prone to dust from
sitting on a camera store's shelf display.

It would seem that Kodak sensors attract more dust than others though.

Larry Lynch December 12th 05 05:05 PM

Oh dear, Stacey....have those good vibrations stopped?

In article RK9nf.749$z21.425@fed1read04, "MarkČ" mjmorgan(lowest even
number says...
Stacey wrote:
G.T. wrote:

Stacey wrote:
lens crack wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16212349

Some guy buys a store demo and is shocked the camera is full of
dust? How many months/years has it been on the shelf?

Didn't it have a freakin' body cap or lens on it?

Who knows? You really believe a salesperson at a store would worry
about it? We have no idea how this camera was handled do we? It could
easily be a 2 year old sample that has sat months at a time with no
cap or lens..

There is no reason to believe a SENSOR will be highly prone to dust from
sitting on a camera store's shelf display.

Depends on Where and How it is displayed..

One camera shop I visit has the cameras right out front on the counter
where they can be handled.

When a novice or NON DSLR user comes in the FIRST thing they do is
figure how to remove the lens and look inside.

The shop owner doesnt mind, he has put them out for that reason, so they
can be handled, and looked at (and into). He only speaks up if he sees a
finger go into the hole!

Keep in mind also that the camera in question was a "DEMO" not a
"DISPLAY".. there is a more than a subtle difference.

Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Rich December 13th 05 12:53 AM

Oh dear, Stacey....have those good vibrations stopped?

On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 01:39:17 -0000, "lens crack"
wrote:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16212349

Seems this fellow just can't seem to keep anything clean.
I'd look into the environment he keeps his camera in.

Exerpt:

Guys, I'm having a hard time cleaning the focusing screen on my E1.
I've tried a blower but it just messed it up. I tried removing it,
wiped it with Eclipse and pec pads, but I can't seem to make it look
perfect. I've also tried using a microfiber cloth. Any suggestions?

I have a question: when I removed the focusing screen I noticed
there's a glass on top of the focusing screen, right beneath the prism
hump. Does this glass serve any purpose, because it's kind of dusty on
my camera. On the other hand, the dust on the glass doesn't seem to
show up with the focusing screen in place.
Okay, I promise to post some photos next time. =B)