PhotoBanter.com

-   35mm Photo Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What's Wrong with this Picture? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=99449)

Mark Thomas July 10th 08 12:31 AM

What's Wrong with this Picture?

Annika1980 wrote:
Fireworks, Lightning and a Comet in the same pic?

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...kemppainen.jpg

This photo came up for discussion in some aus forums some time ago - I
too was disbelieving when I first saw it. However as far as I can tell
it is genuine - the comet was indeed visible (and it was very bright - I
have several images of it too) at that time, it is in the right
position, and there are other images around of that event taking place
during that storm...

So, remarkably, I think it is real. Pity he blew the exposure a bit,
but it is still quite a capture.

Fair dinkum, mate!

Greg Campbell[_2_] July 12th 08 02:42 AM

Annika1980 wrote:

Annika1980 wrote:

Fireworks, Lightning and a Comet in the same pic?
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ima...kemppainen.jpg

This photo came up for discussion in some aus forums some time ago - I
too was disbelieving when I first saw it. However as far as I can tell
it is genuine - the comet was indeed visible (and it was very bright - I
have several images of it too) at that time, it is in the right
position, and there are other images around of that event taking place
during that storm...

So, remarkably, I think it is real. Pity he blew the exposure a bit,
but it is still quite a capture.

According to the NASA page it was a composite of 3 images.
Obviously some of the stuff was Photoshopped quite a bit. Why does
only one lightning bolt have a reflection on the water?

Because the rightmost bolt lit up a big chunk of the storm's base. A
reflection of the illuminated cloud is what you're seeing in the water.

And why is the exposure on the fireworks blown out while the lightning looks
about right?

Because the lightning is significantly more distant and is partially
masked by rain. Even then it's slightly overcooked. One stop less
would have been about perfect. (Why do you assume they should appear
equally bright??)

Other than stitching and some possible brightness blending tweaks, I
don't see any evidence of the Cheating/Heavy Photoshopping you seem to
be hinting at.

-Moo

John McWilliams July 12th 08 07:14 AM

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
Greg Campbell wrote:

Other than stitching and some possible brightness blending tweaks, I
don't see any evidence of the Cheating/Heavy Photoshopping you seem to
be hinting at.

You gotta understand that Bret is so used to creating Photoshopped
composites to hide the crap he uses as source material for so long that
he can't comprehend what a good image looks like out of the camera.

f-u set.

John McWilliams July 12th 08 03:38 PM

Annika1980 wrote:
On Jul 11, 10:51 pm, "Rita Berkowitz" wrote:
Greg Campbell wrote:
Other than stitching and some possible brightness blending tweaks, I
don't see any evidence of the Cheating/Heavy Photoshopping you seem to
be hinting at.

You gotta understand that Bret is so used to creating Photoshopped
composites to hide the crap he uses as source material for so long that he
can't comprehend what a good image looks like out of the camera.

Yeah, right. That was a 3-shot stitch with further Photoshop
manipulations. Hardly straight out of the camera. My point was that
if you're going to fake up a pic like that, do it well.

Not that I'd ever do anything like that of course!
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/65753651
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/82135246

So, are you "embracing and stimulating" the idiot?
;)

--
lsmft