PhotoBanter.com

-   Other Photographic Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   AlienBees strobes (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=74481)

ShootAndSpin December 21st 06 09:43 PM

AlienBees strobes

I was wondering if anyone on this forum has used strobes from Alien
Bees. I'd really appreciate some feedback about them. I'm in the market
for a couple 320 watt second monolights, but wasn't sure if I'd regret
getting the AlienBees seeing as how they're relatively cheap. So far
I've only used Profotos (which I loved), Speedotrons (but only with
power paks) and Photogenics. Unfortunately I'm on a serious budget and
would like to stay around $600-650 for 2 heads/umbrellas/etc. I'm just
looking for a really reliable strobe.

Any feedback is appreciated.

[email protected] December 26th 06 06:51 PM

AlienBees strobes

I have a B400 and a B800. I like them a lot and have used them for 2
years. They are easy to use and the features are good too. I have found
that at times, I need more power though. These work well for a single
portrait and smaller table top set-ups, but I wish I would have bought
a more powerful model. I can shoot a portrait with the strobes a few
feet away at f/8 comfortably, but a group of people or an interior may
require more light for a good depth of field. I rent a 2 light set with
600 w/s each when I need more lights and those have the power!

So, alien bees are good, it just depends which one and what you are
shooting.