PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital SLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The end is near (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=108866)

Charles[_2_] October 2nd 09 12:36 AM

The end is near

As one who believes in the law of diminishing returns, I fear that the
useful (read that as interesting/informative) life of this forum is nearing
its end.

Quick survey: how many faithful readers/contributors feel that this forum
going is going brain-dead? C'mon! Fess up!

dwight[_4_] October 2nd 09 01:57 AM

The end is near

"Charles" wrote in message
As one who believes in the law of diminishing returns, I fear that the
useful (read that as interesting/informative) life of this forum is
nearing its end.

Quick survey: how many faithful readers/contributors feel that this forum
going is going brain-dead? C'mon! Fess up!

I haven't seen a change in all of the years I've used usenet. There has
always been plenty of noise with the signal, with spikes at various times
over the years. Given the current political climate in the U.S. (and
elsewhere), there's bound to be a noise spike now.

There's still plenty of good and useful posts here, you just have to look
harder to find them.

dwight

Robert Coe October 2nd 09 03:16 AM

The end is near

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 20:57:25 -0400, "dwight" wrote:
:
: "Charles" wrote in message
: ...
: As one who believes in the law of diminishing returns, I fear that the
: useful (read that as interesting/informative) life of this forum is
: nearing its end.
:
: Quick survey: how many faithful readers/contributors feel that this
: forum going is going brain-dead? C'mon! Fess up!
:
:
: I haven't seen a change in all of the years I've used usenet. There has
: always been plenty of noise with the signal, with spikes at various times
: over the years. Given the current political climate in the U.S. (and
: elsewhere), there's bound to be a noise spike now.
:
: There's still plenty of good and useful posts here, you just have to look
: harder to find them.

And plenty of trolls like "Charles", seeking attention and trying to get us
off-topic.

Bob

Paul Furman October 2nd 09 03:20 AM

The end is near

Alan Browne wrote:
dwight wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
As one who believes in the law of diminishing returns, I fear that
the useful (read that as interesting/informative) life of this forum
is nearing its end.

Quick survey: how many faithful readers/contributors feel that this
forum going is going brain-dead? C'mon! Fess up!

I haven't seen a change in all of the years I've used usenet. There
has always been plenty of noise with the signal, with spikes at
various times over the years. Given the current political climate in
the U.S. (and elsewhere), there's bound to be a noise spike now.

There's still plenty of good and useful posts here, you just have to
look harder to find them.

Filters help.

Mozilla/Thunderbird have a wonderful feature where you can mark a thread
ignored. Simply tap the K key and the off-topic politics thread is gone
forever.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Savageduck[_4_] October 2nd 09 03:58 AM

The end is near

On 2009-10-01 19:20:28 -0700, Paul Furman said:

Alan Browne wrote:
dwight wrote:

"Charles" wrote in message
As one who believes in the law of diminishing returns, I fear that the
useful (read that as interesting/informative) life of this forum is
nearing its end.

Quick survey: how many faithful readers/contributors feel that this
forum going is going brain-dead? C'mon! Fess up!

I haven't seen a change in all of the years I've used usenet. There has
always been plenty of noise with the signal, with spikes at various
times over the years. Given the current political climate in the U.S.
(and elsewhere), there's bound to be a noise spike now.

There's still plenty of good and useful posts here, you just have to
look harder to find them.

Filters help.

Mozilla/Thunderbird have a wonderful feature where you can mark a
thread ignored. Simply tap the K key and the off-topic politics thread
is gone forever.

Easy enough to do by setting a filter based on on the subject line in
other NG clients.

Savageduck

Ofnuts October 2nd 09 07:28 AM

The end is near

Charles wrote:
As one who believes in the law of diminishing returns, I fear that the
useful (read that as interesting/informative) life of this forum is nearing
its end.

Quick survey: how many faithful readers/contributors feel that this forum
going is going brain-dead? C'mon! Fess up!

The forum isn't brain-dead. Some threads and posters, are, though, but
are easy to spot/avoid.

--
Bertrand

Charles[_2_] October 2nd 09 10:27 PM

The end is near

"Robert Coe" wrote in message

And plenty of trolls like "Charles", seeking attention and trying to get
us
off-topic.

Gee, Bob. Perhaps you could define "on-topic" so definitively that a
mistake as egregious as mine would never again occur.

Robert Coe October 3rd 09 04:11 AM

The end is near

On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 19:20:28 -0700, Paul Furman wrote:
: Alan Browne wrote:
: dwight wrote:
:
: "Charles" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Agent has it too (even the ancient version that I use).

Bob

Charles[_2_] October 5th 09 11:27 PM

The end is near

"Charles" wrote in message
As one who believes in the law of diminishing returns, I fear that the
useful (read that as interesting/informative) life of this forum is
nearing its end.

Quick survey: how many faithful readers/contributors feel that this forum
going is going brain-dead? C'mon! Fess up!

I see that the RichA posts continue to consistently generate more traffic
than reasonable posts.

As I suspected, this forum is going brain-dead.