PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Canon - Nikon Observations (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=103540)

measekite January 7th 09 05:58 PM

Canon - Nikon Observations

Basically, I like the Nikon D90 better than the Canon Digital Rebel Xsi.
For me it just feels and handles better and there are more buttons for
quicker access to everyday controls.

The jury is still out about the Canon 50D. Most of the reviews claim that
it is better than the D90 but after a quickie look the D90 seems more
comfortable.

The big difference between Canon and Nikon is in lenses. Not that you are
going to get much better results with one over the other and not that
either has super large gaping holes in their lens line that will persist
over a reasonable period of time but the difference is in $$$$. It seems
that the majority of Nikon lenses are more costly than Canon. I do not
know what you are getting for the additional money.

David J Taylor[_5_] January 7th 09 07:35 PM

Canon - Nikon Observations

measekite wrote:
[]
The big difference between Canon and Nikon is in lenses. Not that
you are going to get much better results with one over the other and
not that either has super large gaping holes in their lens line that
will persist over a reasonable period of time but the difference is
in $$$$. It seems that the majority of Nikon lenses are more costly
than Canon. I do not know what you are getting for the additional
money.

Do you see a significant difference in price? Is this true in all parts
of the world of just where you live?

As a non-Canon purchaser, I gain the impression that Canon lenses are not
as good as Nikon ones, and hence I would expect to pay somewhat more.
Nikon don't make two quality levels - "standard" and "L". I would expect
that both manufacturers have lenses in their ranges which are not as good
as others - so avoid the XX-XXmm but go for the YY-YYmm instead.

If price really is an issue, you go with 3rd party lenses, if you choose
/very/ carefully.

Cheers,
David

HEMI - Powered[_4_] January 7th 09 09:20 PM

Canon - Nikon Observations

measekite added these comments in the current discussion du jour

Basically, I like the Nikon D90 better than the Canon Digital
Rebel Xsi. For me it just feels and handles better and there are
more buttons for quicker access to everyday controls.

That's what is so wonderful about freedom of choice. I feel exactly
the opposite as you do: I love the XSi's ergonmics and it's much
smaller size and weight than the Nikon. Others don't. That's what
choice is all about.

The jury is still out about the Canon 50D. Most of the reviews
claim that it is better than the D90 but after a quickie look
the D90 seems more comfortable.

How does beingg more comfortable add up to "better"? Are you
considering image quality as well as look and field? Sounds an
awful lot like you're making very subjecting statements and jumping
to conclusions with nothing more than unfounded assumptions. I
don't really care as everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The big difference between Canon and Nikon is in lenses. Not
that you are going to get much better results with one over the
other and not that either has super large gaping holes in their
lens line that will persist over a reasonable period of time but
the difference is in $$$$. It seems that the majority of Nikon
lenses are more costly than Canon. I do not know what you are
getting for the additional money.

I think you'll get a strong argume Yea and Nay for both Nikkor and
Canon L-glass lenses. There are quantitative ways to judge these
things that aren't nearly as simple as you make it sound.

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained
by stupidity!" - Hanlon's Razor

HEMI - Powered[_4_] January 7th 09 09:24 PM

Canon - Nikon Observations

David J Taylor added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...

measekite wrote:
[]
The big difference between Canon and Nikon is in lenses. Not
that you are going to get much better results with one over the
other and not that either has super large gaping holes in their
lens line that will persist over a reasonable period of time
but the difference is in $$$$. It seems that the majority of
Nikon lenses are more costly than Canon. I do not know what
you are getting for the additional money.

Do you see a significant difference in price? Is this true in
all parts of the world of just where you live?

As a non-Canon purchaser, I gain the impression that Canon
lenses are not as good as Nikon ones, and hence I would expect
to pay somewhat more. Nikon don't make two quality levels -
"standard" and "L". I would expect that both manufacturers have
lenses in their ranges which are not as good as others - so
avoid the XX-XXmm but go for the YY-YYmm instead.

As you know, David, I have a Rebel XSi and love it. I imagine
you're correct about relative lens quality issues since you're more
in tune with the technical stuff than I am. But, this is a LOT like
comparing cars and saying that one is good and another is lousy
when in fact they are both quality automobiles and serve their
intended purposes quite well. So, my conclusion would be that all
other things being equal, a real photographer who is skilled will
get equivalent results using either a Nikon or Canon camera IF
models and lens types are kept comparable.

If price really is an issue, you go with 3rd party lenses, if
you choose /very/ carefully.

Agreed. I made an expensive mistake buying a medium length Canon L-
glass zoom that is huge, weighs over 2 pounds and set me back about
$1,250. You can imagine how ****ed I was when I did some
comparative testing to other lenses I own, one of which is a superb
Sigma, and discoved this big cannon Canon lens is soft! Egad!

ray January 7th 09 10:08 PM

Canon - Nikon Observations

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 15:20:21 -0600, HEMI - Powered wrote:

[...]

I don't know that being more comfortable equates to better, but it's not
good to have a product you're going to curse at every time you pick it up
because it's NOT comfortable. IMHO - comfort and ease of use should be
big factors whenever you select someting like a camera.

HEMI - Powered[_4_] January 7th 09 10:33 PM

Canon - Nikon Observations

ray added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

How does beingg more comfortable add up to "better"? Are you
considering image quality as well as look and field? Sounds an
awful lot like you're making very subjecting statements and
jumping to conclusions with nothing more than unfounded
assumptions. I don't really care as everyone is entitled to
their opinion.

I don't know that being more comfortable equates to better, but
it's not good to have a product you're going to curse at every
time you pick it up because it's NOT comfortable. IMHO - comfort
and ease of use should be big factors whenever you select
someting like a camera.

That is obviously correct BUT wasn't what I read from the OP who
seemed to be more concerned with cosmetics than function.

HEMI - Powered[_4_] January 7th 09 11:04 PM

Canon - Nikon Observations

BigDog1 added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Nicely said. I've been listening to this Canon vs. Nikon debate
since I first started down this road in the late 60's, and I'm
weary of it. The simple fact is, saying one is better than the
other is like saying my Dad can beat your Dad, and they're both
6' 4" and 250lbs of solid muscle. It's just silly.

Around here, this debate is like arguing about religion or
politics. I truly believe that NO DSLR will produce bad pictures,
but SOME can produce higher quality than others. Price has the most
to do with it as does where a given camera model is in it's life
cycle.

As you say, all else being equal, the most important component
of the equation is the photographer. The OPs points are
perfectly valid. If the camera feel good in his hands, and he
likes the controls, that's the one he should use.

Oh, I fully agree with that, and is what I said to the OP. I chose
my first DSLR, a Canon Rebel XT, over the Nikon D-70s because it
was smaller and lighter and I liked it's controls better.
Unfortunately, it turned out to be VERY noisy, hence I bought a
Rebel XSi last spring.

One of my old friends from work bought a Nikon D80 last year. He
and I compared notes at lunch and looked at each other's new toy.
We BOTH concluded that what WE bought was more convenient to use.

I don't believe there is ANY single right answer to the perennial
"what camera is best?" debate.

Cheers!

measekite January 8th 09 01:01 AM

Canon - Nikon Observations

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 19:35:20 +0000, David J Taylor wrote:

measekite wrote:
[]
The big difference between Canon and Nikon is in lenses. Not that
you are going to get much better results with one over the other and
not that either has super large gaping holes in their lens line that
will persist over a reasonable period of time but the difference is
in $$$$. It seems that the majority of Nikon lenses are more costly
than Canon. I do not know what you are getting for the additional
money.

Do you see a significant difference in price? Is this true in all parts
of the world of just where you live?

The answer is yes and the answer is no.

As of yes the difference in price is based on USA prices. But in reality
it does not make all that much difference where one lives if they buy
online. An online website can be located in any country.

As a non-Canon purchaser, I gain the impression that Canon lenses are
not as good as Nikon ones, and hence I would expect to pay somewhat
more. Nikon don't make two quality levels - "standard" and "L". I would
expect that both manufacturers have lenses in their ranges which are not
as good as others - so avoid the XX-XXmm but go for the YY-YYmm instead.

If price really is an issue, you go with 3rd party lenses, if you choose
/very/ carefully.

Cheers,
David

The only 3rd party lenses that got rave reviews come from Tokina.

measekite January 8th 09 01:08 AM

Canon - Nikon Observations

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 15:20:21 -0600, HEMI - Powered wrote:

measekite added these comments in the current discussion du jour

Basically, I like the Nikon D90 better than the Canon Digital
Rebel Xsi. For me it just feels and handles better and there are
more buttons for quicker access to everyday controls.

That's what is so wonderful about freedom of choice. I feel exactly
the opposite as you do: I love the XSi's ergonmics and it's much
smaller size and weight than the Nikon. Others don't. That's what
choice is all about.

The jury is still out about the Canon 50D. Most of the reviews
claim that it is better than the D90 but after a quickie look
the D90 seems more comfortable.

How does beingg more comfortable add up to "better"? Are you
considering image quality as well as look and field? Sounds an

Basically the image quality is top notch coming from both Nikon and Canon.
A 12x18 print coming from either (same type of sensor and pixels) taking
the right and proper way will look about the same as far as image quality.

awful lot like you're making very subjecting statements and jumping
to conclusions with nothing more than unfounded assumptions. I
don't really care as everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The big difference between Canon and Nikon is in lenses. Not
that you are going to get much better results with one over the
other and not that either has super large gaping holes in their
lens line that will persist over a reasonable period of time but
the difference is in $$$$. It seems that the majority of Nikon
lenses are more costly than Canon. I do not know what you are
getting for the additional money.

I think you'll get a strong argume Yea and Nay for both Nikkor and
Canon L-glass lenses. There are quantitative ways to judge these
things that aren't nearly as simple as you make it sound.

If using observation you cannot see much difference even if a machine can
see it there really is not difference.

D-Mac[_10_] January 8th 09 04:30 AM

Canon - Nikon Observations

"measekite" wrote in message
Basically, I like the Nikon D90 better than the Canon Digital Rebel Xsi.
For me it just feels and handles better and there are more buttons for
quicker access to everyday controls.

The jury is still out about the Canon 50D. Most of the reviews claim that
it is better than the D90 but after a quickie look the D90 seems more
comfortable.

The big difference between Canon and Nikon is in lenses. Not that you are
going to get much better results with one over the other and not that
either has super large gaping holes in their lens line that will persist
over a reasonable period of time but the difference is in $$$$. It seems
that the majority of Nikon lenses are more costly than Canon. I do not
know what you are getting for the additional money.

--------------------
Canon "consumer grade" lenses produce some pretty shocking CA and have real
problems at middle distance focus. Several of the "L" lenses should never
have been named a Professional lens either. The system Canon use wants to
send the lens to infinity long before it should.

Nikon's latest bunch of "Consumer grade" lenses are excellent. Some small CA
is visible in the 18 -135 but generally, 80% less (IMO) than Canon lenses.
Nikon's auto focus system whilst being slower than the Canon system is far
more accurate. Middle distance focus is so much better than Canon's, you'd
really wonder why they let it happen.

I speak from experience. I dumped all my Canon gear over a 4 month period
and bought Fuji and Nikon cameras. The last Canon's I had were a 5D and a
40D. You are right about the top end lenses being dearer than "L" Canon
lenses but for perfectionists, there is no equal to the Nikon's in Canon's
range. During my evaluation period I also used Pentax, Mamiya and Olympus
cameras.

It's true the D3 is lower resolution than a 1D Mk III. What isn't clear most
of the time is that at about 8 Mp, Digital exceeds fine grain 35mm film and
can be enlarged to MF sizes due to lack of grain. Posters I've seen made by
a rival with his 1D are not as well defined as posters I make from D3
images.

There may be some valid argument to buy Canon in the lower and Pro ranges
but image quality is not one of them. Most Professional photographers using
Canon gear do so only because they can rent $20,000 lenses pretty much on
demand. Nikon Pros buy their own.

Had I elected to stay with Canon, I would have saved the cost of a new car
and gained access to the huge 1000mm FL lens they hire out to Pros. Then I
asked myself WTF does a wedding and publication photographer want with such
a lens?

My wedding cameras all have 18 - 200 lenses on them. I carry a wider lens
but have never used it in over 9 months. DxO Optics Pro fix the lens
differences and make the images as good as if they'd been shot with a couple
of lenses costing 4x the cost these.

From my point of view, the 50D is just an evolution of the 20D without
fixing any of the real problems facing mid range Canon DSLRs. The D90 is
evolutionary also but it evolved from a pretty good camera in the first
place so there are less problems brought forward. The movie thing is some
sort of "mine's as good as yours" ****ing competition I think and really
ought to be dropped if they can't get it right.

For a first time owner I'd recommend a Pentax or Olympus over either Nikon
or Canon but getting into the area of serious photographers, The Nikon
system is much better than the Canon stuff but if sports shooting
(professionally) is where you're heading, Canon is the only choice that
makes any financial sense.

Douglas