PhotoBanter.com

-   In The Darkroom (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Burke & James solar for 5x7?? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=90)

CBlood59 February 3rd 04 12:46 PM

Burke & James solar for 5x7??

Hello,

I would like to know if the B&J Solar enlarger can be used to enlarge 5x7
negatives. Does anyone have experience with this enlarger?

Curt Blood

John February 3rd 04 03:36 PM

Burke & James solar for 5x7??

On 03 Feb 2004 12:46:57 GMT, (CBlood59) wrote:

Hello,

I would like to know if the B&J Solar enlarger can be used to enlarge 5x7
negatives. Does anyone have experience with this enlarger?

Curt Blood

If the diffusion plate is 5X7 then the enlarger can be used to
enlarge 5X7 negatives. I'm no authority on enlargers but I think the
Solar is a re-branded Elwood.

Regards,

John S. Douglas, Photographer -
http://www.darkroompro.com
Please remove the "_" when replying via email

JCPERE February 3rd 04 11:54 PM

Burke & James solar for 5x7??

(CBlood59)

I would like to know if the B&J Solar enlarger can be used to enlarge 5x7
negatives. Does anyone have experience with this enlarger?

Well you have to have the 5x7 model. I have a 5x7 Production Solarmatic. This
model holds the head in a sort of spring loaded lever design instead of just
sliding along the vertical post. Very easy to move the head and lock in place.

I found the normal diffusion head to be very hot. Mine has the double
diffusion glass with one piece having more density toward the center to help
with the hot spot. Didn't take me long to replace this with an Aristo cold
light. They also made a condenser model the 57HC but I've never seen one.

A good basic enlarger but nothing special. But probably (along with the
Elwood) the cheapest used 5x7 enlarger around. I still have mine but now use
an 8x10 Elwood for my main large format enlarger. AFAIK Solar and Elwood had
nothing to do with each other.

Chuck

John February 4th 04 03:38 AM

Burke & James solar for 5x7??

On 03 Feb 2004 23:54:26 GMT, (JCPERE) wrote:

AFAIK Solar and Elwood had nothing to do with each other.

Chuck

You could well be right. For some reason I was under the
impression that B&J bought their enlargers from Elwood.

Richard Knoppow February 5th 04 11:08 AM

Burke & James solar for 5x7??

"CBlood59" wrote in message
Hello,

I would like to know if the B&J Solar enlarger can be used

to enlarge 5x7
negatives. Does anyone have experience with this

enlarger?

Curt Blood

I have one sitting on the other side of the room. This is
the diffusion model and will take 5x7. A similar chassis was
used with a combination condenser/diffuser for 4x5. Mine
takes the impossible to find No.301 enlarger lamp the same
as some Elwood models. I had one the condenser enlargers
many years ago. It used a PH 211 lamp. This will take one
but I think the reflector is intended for the larger
envelope of the 301. Solar was a trade name of Burke &
James. These were good quality not very expensive enlargers.
They are set up to take several kinds of lens boards
including 4x5 Speed Graphic boards.
You may have to shim the base to get it into alignment.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Gary Beasley February 6th 04 01:53 AM

Burke & James solar for 5x7??

On 03 Feb 2004 12:46:57 GMT, (CBlood59) wrote:

Hello,

I would like to know if the B&J Solar enlarger can be used to enlarge 5x7
negatives. Does anyone have experience with this enlarger?

Curt Blood

Yes, but you will have to be sure your 5x7 Solar is working properly.
I had one and it had a hot spot in it probably due to having the wrong
bulb in it. FWIW its pretty easy to adapt the Solar head to an old
Beseler 67 chassis, increases the sturdyness of the whole thing.

CBlood59 February 7th 04 01:36 PM

Burke & James solar for 5x7??

Thanks for the input.

Curt Blood