PhotoBanter.com

-   -   underwater housing (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=1098)

Chieh Cheng June 28th 04 07:18 PM

underwater housing

I would like to buy an underwater housing for my Sony DSC-P92 digital
camera relatively soon. Does anyone know of a good underwater housing
for it?

Chieh
--
Camera Hacker - http://www.CameraHacker.com/

drwxr-xr-x June 28th 04 08:59 PM

underwater housing

On 28 Jun 2004 11:18:43 -0700, Chieh Cheng hath writ:
I would like to buy an underwater housing for my Sony DSC-P92 digital
camera relatively soon. Does anyone know of a good underwater housing
for it?

Google has nothing on it, huh?

Jimmy G June 29th 04 12:35 AM

underwater housing

Ikelite is the industry standard for u/w housings, however they do not list
a housing for the model which you gave. Go to Ikelite.com & poke around for
customer service. They might be able to give you a number of housing that
is compatible.

BTW, they are COSTLY. Though less expensive, I really wouldn't trust an EWA
housing as it is little more than a zip-loc bag. My Ikelite gave me a great
deal of service with no problems.

Happy Diving

;o\)-max- June 29th 04 03:20 AM

underwater housing

"Jimmy G"
Ikelite is the industry standard for u/w housings, however they do not list
a housing for the model which you gave. Go to Ikelite.com & poke around for
customer service. They might be able to give you a number of housing that
is compatible.

BTW, they are COSTLY. Though less expensive, I really wouldn't trust an EWA
housing as it is little more than a zip-loc bag. My Ikelite gave me a great
deal of service with no problems.

Happy Diving

My Ewa bag works just fine. Snap the flash on the D1X,
put in the bag add 1kg weight a silicagel sachet, close the
bag, and dive up to 60 meters, I've only tested to 30 meters.
The Ewa weighs less than 1kg and takes no space, I love it.
;o)-max-

Dan Birchall June 29th 04 08:17 AM

underwater housing

(Jimmy G) wrote:
Though less expensive, I really wouldn't trust an EWA housing as it
is little more than a zip-loc bag.

Ever used one? I'd rate the closure on mine (triple-crimp clamp with
thumbscrews) as a good bit more secure than a zip-loc bag. And I hear
they've got close to zero risk of implosion, though I wouldn't know,
since I don't skindive that deep.

That said, they're not typically rated for as great a depth as Ikelite's.

I should note that there are hardshell brands other than Ikelite...
Sea & Sea, for one.

--
Dan Birchall, Hilo HI -
http://dan.birchalls.net/ - images, words, technology

Gordon Henderson June 29th 04 08:59 AM

underwater housing

In article jX1Ec.3183$151.2114@fed1read02,
Jimmy G wrote:
Ikelite is the industry standard for u/w housings,

Ikelite are just one manufacturer of underwater housings for cameras,
there are plenty others, some much better than Ikelite (IMO).

Have a look at http://www.digideep.com/ and http://www.wetpixel.com/
for lots of information & reviews of various housings, etc.

If you are in the UK, http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/ is a shop worth
a look.

Safe diving!

Gordon